Sweet & Salty Blondies - May, 2017.
This is THE dessert when decadence is needed. This recipe has crunch, a bit of salt, home-made caramel and a punch of chocolate. ..what’s not to love? It’s easier than it looks.
You’ll find it on pages 114 & 115 of Fat Witch Bake Sale.
- Basic Blondie
- 10 tablespoons (1¾ sticks) unsalted butter.
- 1½ cups light brown sugar packed.
- 2 large eggs at room trempreture.
- 1 teaspoon of vanilla extract.
- 1 cup of unbleached all-purpose
- 1½ teaspoons baking powder.
- 1 teaspoon salt.
- 1 cup of granulated sugar.
- ½ cup of water.
- ½ cup of honey.
- 4 tablespoons (½ stick) unsalted butter.
- ¼ cup of sweetened condensed milk.
- 2½ cups roasted skinned peanuts.
- 1½ cups thin pretzels, coarsely chopped.
- 1 tablespoon of course sea salt.
- 1 cup semi-sweet or milk chocolate chips.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- Grease 9” square baking pan with butter or cooking spray.
- Dust with flour and shake out excess
- To make the blondies:
- Melt the butter in a small heavy-bottomed saucepan over a low heat, stirring frequently.
- When melted remove the pan from the stove top and let cool for 1-2 minutes.
- Then pour the butter into a large bowl, using a spatula to get it all out.
- Add sugar and stir until well combined.
- Beat in the eggs. Beat in the vanilla.
- Measure the flour, baking powder and salt and sift directly into the butter mixture.
- Mix until well combined. Pour into the prepared pan and spread evenly.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean or with only crumbs.
- Remove the pan from the oven and let cool for at least one hour.
- To make the topping:
- in a medium heavy-bottomed saucepan, over low heat, combine the sugar and water and stir until the sugar dissolves.
- Increase the heat and boil without stirring for 10 to 12 minutes.
- The mixture should be amber in color. Add the honey and return to a boil, stirring for about 1 minute.
- Add the butter and stir until melted. Whisk in the milk and then stir in the peanuts.
- Pour the mixture over the cooked blondies. Sprinkle with pretzels and sea salt.
- Microwave the chocolate chips in an approved bowl on medium power, at 45 second intervals. Stir each time until the chocolate is almost melted.
- Remove the bowl from the microwave and stir until smooth.
- Using a fork, drizzle the melted chocolate over the blondies and topping.
- Chill the pan for at least 30 minutes.
- Cut just before serving and serve at room temperature.
- Store in the refrigerator for up to 3 days. Makes 12 to 16 pieces
Product will stay fresh for 5 days at room temperature. Serve at room temperature.
If desired, refrigerate immediately for 3 weeks or freeze for 3 months.