Vegan Brownies - May, 2015.
I didn’t think it could be done! A brownie without butter and eggs that tastes good? One night I decided to experiment with the possibility. I researched online vegan brownie recipes and made substitutions. Wow! This is a bit more cake-like than my Fat Witch brownies, but is now one of my go-to recipes when I need to bring dessert to a friend’s dinner party (I am always asked to bring the final course). These brownies are so delicious - we often sell them at our store inside Chelsea Market. We tell folks that we keep butter and eggs on our production premises.
This recipe is on pages 102 and 103 of Fat Witch Bake Sale Cookbook.
- 1½ cups unbleached all-purpose flour
- 1½ cups vegan cane sugar
- ½ cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon of salt
- ¾ cup water
- ¾ cup canola oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Preheat the oven to 350 ℉.
- Grease a 9" square baking pan with canola oil or vegan cooking spray.
- Dust the pan with flour and shake out the excess.
- Sift the flour, cocoa, baking powder and salt into a large bowl.
- Add water and oil. Stir to combine
- Stir in vanilla
- Spread the batter into the prepared pan.
- Bake for 30-35 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean or with only moist crumbs, not batter.
- Cool in the pan on a rack for at least one hour.
- Cut just before serving. I often use a cookie cutter to make unusual shapes, but perfectly fine to cut into squares or rectangles by hand!
Opt-in to the Fat Witch Newsletter for monthly discount codes, free offers and more
Product will stay fresh for 7-10 days at room temperature. Serve at room temperature.
If desired, refrigerate immediately for 3 weeks or freeze for 3 months.
Classic BUY NOW & Classic Cauldron Special always available.