Chocolate Cake - June, 2018.
Celebrate with Dads, grads and brides in June! Nothing says love/congratulations as well as a towering chocolate layer cake.
This is my best chocolate cake recipe. It is on pages 24 and 25 of Fat Witch Bake Sale.
I like to top it with a white chocolate icing and there are plenty you can find online. Mine is on page 173 of the cookbook.
- Ingredients for ONE layer (make certain you double or triple the recipe depending on the number of layers you want)
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 2 large eggs
- ½ teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- ⅓ cup whole milk
- ¼ cup flavorless vegetable oil
- ⅓ cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 cup unbleached all-purpose flour .
- ½ teaspoon salt.
- ½ teaspoon baking powder.
- ½ teaspoon baking soda.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- Grease as many 9” round cake pans as you plan to have layers with butter or cooking spray, making certain you get the sides. You can also use 9” square baking pans.
- Dust the pans with flour and tap out the excess.
- In a large mixing bowl, cream the sugar and eggs with an electric mixer until light and fluffy.
- Add the vanilla and mix.
- Then add the milk and beat to combine.
- Beat in the oil.
- Measure the cocoa and sift (to get rid of lumps) directly into the bowl. Beat until well combined.
- Measure the flour, salt, baking powder and baking soda and sift directly into the batter.
- Blend until the dry ingredients are just incorporated.
- Spread the batter evenly into the prepared pan.
- Bake for 28-32 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean or with only baked crumbs.
- Remove the pan from the oven and let cool on a rack for at least 1 hour.
- Turn the cake out onto a plate and cool for another hour before icing.
- If you don’t eat all of this cake, you can store it by sticking a few toothpicks into the top and cover with plastic wrap.
- Store in refrigerator for 5 days.
Product will stay fresh for 5 days at room temperature. Serve at room temperature.
If desired, refrigerate immediately for 3 weeks or freeze for 3 months.
Classic BUY NOW (shipping included) & Classic Cauldron Special always available.