Hazelnut-Cream Cheese Brownies -April 2021
April is the slowest month for my brownie business. I am convinced it is because of tax season.
Due to my personal agony (everyone has to be better organized than I am), I think baking a lush decadent dessert is the answer to everything.
This home recipe soothes the angry heart – or if you get a refund – the happy heart! The big deduction here - this recipe is gluten-free!
- 4 ounces cream cheese softened to room temperature
- ¼ cup granulated sugar
- 1 egg white (large egg)
- Brownie Batter
- 4 ounces unsweetened chocolate – chopped into same sized pieces
- 8 tablespoons (1 stick) unsalted butter
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ¾ cup hazelnut flour
- ¼ cup gluten-free baking flour
- Big pinch of salt
- ¼ cup coarsely chopped hazelnuts with skins removed – toasted
- Grease 9” baking pan with butter/cooking spray and dust with gluten-free flour.
- Tap out the excess flour.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- Beat the cream cheese and sugar in a medium-sized bowl with an electric mixer.
- Add the egg white and beat until all is well combined. Pour the mixture into a plastic or pastry bag.
- Put in the refrigerator.
- Brownie Batter
- Melt the chocolate and butter in a small heavy-bottomed saucepan over low heat.
- Remove the saucepan from the heat and stir the mixture until it is smooth. Set aside to cool slightly.
- Beat the sugar, eggs and vanilla in a large mixing bowl with an electric mixer. It will become thick and lemony in color.
- Pour in the chocolate and butter. Beat until well combined. Stir in the hazelnut flour until well combined.
- Measure the gluten-free flour and salt and sift directly into the brownie batter.
- Stir into the batter gently until well combined
- With a spatula, spread the brownie batter evenly into the prepared pan.
- Pipe in the filling. Put in the filling into a zip-lock plastic bag. Snip a tiny hole at one end of the bottom corners.
- Press the top of the bag and pipe in 12-16 big dots on top of the brownie batter.
- With a dull-edged knife (butter knife) dip into the brownie batter and mingle the filling. Sprinkle chopped hazelnuts on top.
- Bake for 32-35 minutes. A toothpick inserted in the middle of the pan should come out clean or with only crumbs, not batter. The cream cheese will be slightly golden in color.
- Remove the pan from the oven and let cool for at least 1 hour. Cut just before serving. If you bake before serving – refrigerate
- Makes 12-18 pieces depending on how you cut.
Opt-in to the Fat Witch Newsletter for monthly discount codes, free offers and more
Product will stay fresh for 7-10 days at room temperature. Serve at room temperature.
If desired, refrigerate immediately for 3 weeks or freeze for 3 months.
Classic BUY NOW & Classic Cauldron Special always available.