Cherry Oatmeal Bars -January, 2020.
2020 is the year of tasty healthy!
Here’s a recipe for the perfect snack after skiing or a walk in the woods or on the beach (if you’ve gone south for the winter). I love tart dried cherries, but substitute your fave, such as dried apricots. I like to add cashews, but almonds or walnuts are just as good. And, nuts are optional.
- 12 tablespoons (1 ½ sticks) unsalted butter
- 1 ½ teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 ½ cups quick cooking oats (NOT instant)
- 1 cup unbleached flour
- 1 cup packed dark brown sugar
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 cup dried cherries (packed)
- ½ cup nuts such as cashews or almonds or walnuts coarsely chopped (optional)
- Grease a 9” square baking pan. Dust with flour and tap out the excess.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- Melt the butter in a small, heavy-bottomed saucepan over low heat.
- Stir frequently. Remove the pan from the heat and let cool 5 minutes.
- Stir in the vanilla and mix well.
- In a large bowl, combine the oats, flour sugar, salt and cinnamon together with a large spoon.
- Flatten any lumps. Pour in the butter mixture and mix until well combined.
- Stir in the cherries (or apricots) and nuts.
- Spread the batter evenly in the prepared pan. Use clean hands to pat the batter.
- Bake 30 minutes until the top is golden brown and the edges slightly pulling away from the edges.
- Remove the pan from the oven and cool for at least 1 hour.
- Cut just before serving. If taking on a hike – wrap in plastic or baggie.
- 12-16 bars depending on size you cut
Opt-in to the Fat Witch Newsletter for monthly discount codes, free offers and more
Product will stay fresh for 5 days at room temperature. Serve at room temperature.
If desired, refrigerate immediately for 3 weeks or freeze for 3 months.
Classic BUY NOW & Classic Cauldron Special always available.