BIG APPLE LOAF - August, 2020.
Local tart apples are ready to be picked. Go get ‘em!
This is a perfect end of summer baking recipe and it’s vegan.
I promise you will love it. Top with whipped cream if you want (oops, not vegan).
- ¾ cup tart apple (like Granny Smith) peeled, cored, finely chopped. Probably 1 small apple
- ½ cup and 2 teaspoons cane sugar
- 1 and ¼ teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- ¾ cup whole wheat flour
- ¾ teaspoon of baking soda
- ½ teaspoon of ground cinnamon
- Pinch of salt
- ¾ cup unsweetened applesauce
- ½ cup canola oil
- ¼ cup agave syrup
- ¼ teaspoon apple cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon demerara sugar (optional for topping of loaf)
- Pre-heat oven to 325 degrees F.
- Grease a loaf pan (8” x 4”) with canola oil or vegan cooking spray. Dust with flour and tap out the excess.
- Put the chopped apple pieces in a medium bowl and sprinkle with 2 teaspoons of cane sugar and ¼ teaspoon of nutmeg. Toss.
- Measure the flours, baking soda, cinnamon and salt and the rest of the nutmeg. Sift into a large mixing bowl.
- In a medium bowl, whisk the applesauce, oil, agave, vinegar and the rest of the cane sugar.
- Pour this mixture into the flour mixture and stir by hand until well combined.
- Stir in the apple pieces.
- Pour the batter into the prepared loaf pan.
- Sprinkle with demerara sugar (if desired) over the top.
- Bake for 60-65 minutes or until the top and edges are golden brown and a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean or only with crumbs.
- Cool completely in the pan for at least 1 hour.
- Slice before serving.
Opt-in to the Fat Witch Newsletter for monthly discount codes, free offers and more
Product will stay fresh for 5 days at room temperature. Serve at room temperature.
If desired, refrigerate immediately for 3 weeks or freeze for 3 months.
Classic BUY NOW & Classic Cauldron Special always available.