Heart-Felt Brownies, February, 2018.
Baking is a heart-felt activity. Do it with love or not at all!
Make your brownies fit the mood. Silicone heart-shaped pans are available online NYCake.com and in specialty baking stores.
Here’s my brownie recipe which will fill 6-12 medium heart shaped molds. I usually dab on a bit of sparkling wine icing and sugar sprinkles after they have cooled, but icing not required.
Both my cookbooks have icing recipes. Here’s one of my favorites. Champagne Icing
- Ingredients for Brownies
- 12 tablespoons (1 ½ sticks) unsalted butter
- 4 ounces bittersweet chocolate (at least 60% cacao) broken into small even-sized pieces
- 1 ¼ cups granulated sugar
- 3 large eggs
- ½ cup and 2 tablespoons unbleached all-purpose flour
- Pinch of salt
- Directions for Brownies
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- Thoroughly grease the heart-shaped-mold pan(s). I use vegetable oil and get the sides also.
- In a small, heavy-bottom pan, warm the butter and chocolate over low heat until almost melted.
- Remove the pan from the heat and set aside to cool and finish melting (around 10 minutes).
- In a large bowl, beat the sugar, eggs and vanilla until smooth and fluffy. Add the cooled butter and chocolate and mix until well blended.
- Measure the flour and salt and sift directly into the chocolate mixture. Mix gently until no trace of the dry ingredients remains.
- With a small ladle or large spoon, scoop the batter evenly into the heart molds.
- Baking Tip…do not fill the batter all the way to the top. ½ filled is perfect.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean or with only crumbs.
- Cool in the pan for at least 1 hour. Remove the brownies gently from the molds.
- Cool on a platter another hour before icing.
- If you only have 1 pan, let the first batch cool completely (at least 1 hour) before you flip out the hearts and start over with the rest of the batter. Re-grease!
- Champagne Icing is perfect. I usually add a few red sprinkles for presentation.
Product will stay fresh for 5 days at room temperature. Serve at room temperature.
If desired, refrigerate immediately for 3 weeks or freeze for 3 months.
Classic BUY NOW & Classic Cauldron Special always available.